A wrongful death suit has been filed in a Philadelphia civil court by the family of a man killed in a fatal workplace accident. The workers, the suit claims, were not properly trained, and a copper pipe in the building was not grounded or de-energized.
The suit claims the man was hired by contractors to work on a home improvement project in a Juniper Street residence in Philadelphia. On April 27, 2013, the worker was inside a second floor access panel helping to feed a wire to another worker below. During this process, the suit says, the man touched a copper pipe that was not discharged or grounded. According to the suit, this resulted in the man’s death by electrocution.
The suit was filed by the parents of the worker against the three electrical contractors and the general contractor for the project. The plaintiffs also listed the homeowners as parties to the suit. According to court documents, the contractors failed to tell the man about the electrical hazards present on the property and failed to offer training to the workers necessary to prevent electrical injury and death. It further cites the homeowners for having the work done without proper licenses and permits. The suit asks for compensation for funeral costs, loss of care and comfort and loss of funds the deceased provided the family to pay for household expenses.
When a workplace injury results in the death of an individual, the family, as in this case, may file a wrongful death suit. An attorney may review the incident to determine cause and negligence. A lack of proper city permits and licenses adds to the overall lack of care. The attorney may help the family file the suit and prepare for litigation or offers of settlement.
Source: The Pennsylvania Record, “Family of man electrocuted seeks damages from employers“, Jim Boyle, July 01, 2014